Saturday 18 September 2010

Getting There

What a cracking day today has been. i had made up my mind that this week on Dogleg i would stay in a swim all day rather than move after a 2-3 hours if i had no action. Finding the fish seems not to be a problem it's getting them to take a bait that is not the easy part Soon after arriving at about 10.00am i had found a few fish cruising up and down one of the arms that run off the main part of the lake. So that's where i made up my mind to stay for the day. Putting 3 rods out i sat back and watched as the fish came in and out of the main lake and up the arm these carp was in mid water so after a couple of hours i made my mind up to put a 3 foot zig out hoping that at least one would take an interest in the black piece of foam with the hook in it.
It was a little after 2.00pm when the middle rod burst into life a short battle with the mirror and it was soon in the net a short dumpy fish. I left him in the net while i sorted the weigh sling and scales out and also to set the camera up i have a cannon g5 and its fantastic for quality photo's especially self-takes i just set it up on a tripod get the remote set the timer for 10 seconds that gives you enough time to pick the fish up and get your self in the pose you want and it's done. You can if you wish hold the fish in the pose position and use the remote control which ever is easy for the user. Any how this time the camera would not switch on the battery seemed to be dead which was odd as i had charged it this week Thought was running threw my mind that the camera was broke which meant that A) i would have to buy a new one and B) who can i call to come out and take a photo for me. When from out the of the blue i heard a voice say "you got one mate" It was a guy that had walked pass me an hour before. After explaining that the camera had broke on me i asked if would mind taking a few shots for me with my phone "no problem" he said so lucky for me he turned up when he did. I thanked him for doing the honors with the photos and off he went in search of his own carp.
After the weighing and photos was done i slipped the fish back into the water and off it swam ready to fight another day. I sat it out for the rest of the afternoon in the swim but that was the only carp to grace the net. So had the idea of sitting it out in the same swim all day seemed to have payed off but is it the answer to cracking the lake??

23-12 mirror